Say wha now?

Some of our friends call J and I active. Hiking. Running. Paddling. Rock Climbing. Sure, those things are not on everyone's agenda. Nor do most of our friends aspire to hike all the high peaks in the country and spend months in Alaska living off the land. So yes we have lofty and different goals. But, there are many others who outdo us by a million.

When I coached cross country in Danville, the head coach was a 60-year-old man who regularly ran 100 miles per week. Then we heard David Horton speak at a special event in Danville. Among other things, this ultramarathoner broke the record in 1991 for thru-hiking the AT (Appalachian Trail=2,100+ miles) in 52 days, 9 hours and 42 minutes. Did I mention he is in his 50s?

Now this guy, Karl Meltzer wants to beat the most current AT southbound thru-hiking record set by Andrew Thompson in 2005. Thompson hiked the trail in 47 days, 13 hours and 31 minutes. Meltzer hopes to do it in less than 47 days. That's like 50 miles a day people. He started in Maine last week. We may see if we can catch him (not literally) in NH.

This just goes to show that the word "active" is relative. I could never live up to these guys' standards. But, that's okay. As long as I'm still setting goals and doing the best I can do at achieving them.

Anyways, just thought I'd share so when you peg J and I as "crazy," you can think twice!

Labels: