2008 in review

I saw this on some other blogs and thought, why not?

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Only 11 of our closest friends …

Did anyone close to you die?
My grandma. Sadly, two other friends of J’s family also died, but I wasn’t close to them.

What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 16 – my surprise 30th birthday party!

What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
We attempted (and failed) to build an igloo

Any big accomplishments?
The blog you are reading! Plus, I had hoped to read more, freelance write outside of my full-time job and rid ourselves of some of the crap we own and don’t need, all of which was accomplished.

What was your biggest failure?
I didn’t participate in any road races and to me, that’s a failure. I at least like to do one per year. Even J did one this year!!!

Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thankfully no. But J seems to aging faster than I because he is always complaining about something hurting.

What was the best thing you bought?
My new eyes, although half was paid in 2007. Second best would be dancing lessons for J and I. We are having so much fun with them! Next up would be my new kayak paddle. It makes a world of difference.

Where did most of your money go?
Got me. I’m still scratching my head on that one but I’m going to guess to bills and our ever-increasing “toy” collection (see above). Although this year we really did scale back!

What countries did you visit?
Unfortunately, I did not travel of the country this year, but did travel a great deal within the US.

What song describes 2008?
“Let your troubles roll by” by Carbon Leaf

Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Hmm, probably a little sadder
b) thinner or fatter? Probably a little thicker
c) richer or poorer? Richer only because we've paid down some debt and really built up our savings!

What do you wish you’d done more of?
Running, kayaking, camping and rock climbing. I can never do enough of all that.

What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying and stressing.

What was the best book you read?
I just like the fact that I read a lot of books this year. It was a goal of mine and I made it a point to fit reading into my day. I finally read “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn,” “Memoirs of a Geisha” and "The Last Season," all of which I loved. But I am so far behind the times in terms of popular books I want to read. I’ll probably read “Twilight” in 2010 or something.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
To self: “Am I leaving the house today? No? Good. Then I can wear whatever I want.”

What kept you sane?
J. Exercising.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger.