The things I took for granted

I had a follow-up appt. with my oral surgeon who assured me that the mild pain I still feel will go away eventually, but he cannot be sure I will regain feeling in my lower lip and chin. It was all part of the surgery's risk, as I knew. I was thankful that I didn't lose feeling in my tongue, which was a strong possibility. I had visions of going to my sister for speech therapy. But my lip? I thought, how bad could that be. Well, I'm not going to lie. It's quite annoying.

Here's a short list of the benefits feeling in your lower lips provide:
*Holding the drool when you are looking down
*Giving you some indication on the temperature of your food before your sensitive tongue touches it
*Feeling a kiss
*Never getting in the way when you bite down on your food
*Letting you know if you have leftover food around your mouth
*Being able to put chapstick on properly (on a side note, I hate chapstick. But, my lips constantly "feel" chapped these days)

For now, I live numbly. I am taking a short course of steroids because the doc said maybe the area around the nerve is still too inflammed. Fingers crossed!