Things I Love Thursday


I have to profess my love to the Sonicare toothbrush.*

I had a wonderful experience at the dentist today. This is not right. I never have anything less than a terrible experience at the dentist.

Hating the dentist all started when I was young. For some reason, I just loathed going to the dentist. I would have preferred the enema I once had to get (TMI - I was 11). Going to the dentist made me as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs (if you giggled at that, or had to re-read it to comprehend it, my disclaimer is I didn't come up with it on my own; I read it somewhere a long time ago and stole it). I would put up such a fight when it was time to go to the dentist. And you would think I took to brushing better to prevent more visits, but sadly I had more cavities by the age of 17 than I had adult teeth.

In my 20s, going to the dentist was the reason I was so broke. Crowns, root canals, waterway canals, you name it, I had it done in my mouth. And those damn wisdom teeth. Three of them came out in my 20s. The only dental debt-free time was the 3 months I dated my dentist. Yes, I dated my 37-year-old dentist (I was 22). What can I say? He was nice and I got 2 crowns and one filling out of it.

J had a similar history with the dentist (not the dating part). Hated going, had tons of work done. Dentists have commented about both of our mouths saying that we had a record number of fillings in there. Guess our mouths were made for each other ... I know, eww, gross.

So imagine my surprise today when I went to the dentist and the hygienist said, "your mouth looks impeccable. I am trying to find calculus [plaque] and I can't find any!" She asked if I flossed every day to make this difference and I admitted, no, I floss maybe once a week. Her conclusion: the Sonicare toothbrush.

Rewind 6 months ago when J and I finally caved and bought the Sonicare brush. It took about 2 years of the dentist hounding us to buy it. "It makes all the difference," they said! To spend the $100 to replace the electronic $10 toothbrush we already had, we needed them to prove it moved mountains.

J & I both got a clean bill of health at our last dental visits and we are proudly attributing that to the Sonicare brush. Remember J's gum (thumb) replacement surgery (which he has yet to fully heal from)? Originally, they planned to do the surgery 3 more times. But, Sonicare did the trick. His gums stopped receding and actually grew back. A medical miracle they call it. We admit the 2-minute timed brushing routine sometimes gets old and we only make it a minute in, but we don't cheat everyday.

So, if you are considering the Sonicare brush, go for it. It does move mountains.

*Sonicare did not pay me to say all this. But, if they want to send me a coupon for replacement heads, please do!