Week 2 of Unemployment: Scared

I went to an unemployment workshop required by the state today. Apparently one of many I will have to go to. While sitting in the room waiting for the presenter to come in, I counted. There were 15 of us. I don't know why, but that number scared me. That's 15 people who became unemployed in the Concord area during the past month or so. And this class is offered weekly.

It was a good class, don't get me wrong. The rep went over all the procedures for filing each week and all the job searching tools out there. The whole unemployment process is so overwhelming, so any help is appreciated.

But I'm scared. I've been so blessed with employment so far. Aside from the TERRIBLE NO GOOD JOB at that school in Phoenix, I've always worked at a place I loved. And loved the work I did. Now the road is wide open for me to explore many options, although, it's not. Jobs are limited out there folks, in case you haven't noticed. And, I wonder if I pigeon-holed myself by doing medical writing the last 8 years. I used to write for a newspaper years ago, but can I do that anymore? Would they even consider me? The freelancing I've done helps me break into the other avenues of writing/editing, but I have to say, I'm not feeling very confident about my qualifications in this moment.

So sorry to be Debbie Downer! Everyone says I am a glass "half full" type of person, and I am trying not to lose that, but geez louise, it's my blog and I can cry if I want to!

In any case, hopefully the Thursday blues will go away. I am flying out to the Midwest today primarily for a very important wedding, but also to see many, many friends. And friends are ALWAYS uplifting!

Labels: