Week 32 of Unemployment

This week was a little bit of a roller coaster, but with a good ending.

It started off with a ripple in my unemployment. When you file for UE each week, they ask about your job search. I've been pretty good about applying for jobs each week, but the week between Christmas and New Year's, I didn't apply for any. I did a search, but there were literally no jobs! I'm not sure how they expected me to apply for jobs in this case, but I got my hand slapped and they skipped a week of my UE because of it.

On Tuesday, I heard from a colleague that she had a project come her way that she couldn't accept and did I have time. Um, yes. We e-mailed back and forth and she was planning to recommend me to the client. But, I haven't heard back and I'm assuming the client had someone else in mind already. I didn't get my hopes up too high, but it was a still a disappointment. I just want new clients and new work ... is it too much to ask?

The rest of the week was fine, but I'm just not finding great leads and all those seeds I planted before Christmas, they ain't growin.

So now that we have all the bad stuff out of the way, here's the good stuff!

I got my voice back. I lost it after last week's interview and I missed it so much. For someone who doesn't work and hardly leaves the house, I sure talk a lot. Poor J!

I got my official certificate in the mail showing my completion of the AMWA Core Curriculum Program in Editing/Writing. If you need my address to send graduation gifts, just e-mail me.

Verizon finally announced that they would offer their customers the iPhone. I have been waiting for this! I knew I wanted to get some sort of technologically advanced phone for the trail, but I speak only Apple when it comes to computer devices, so I couldn't imagine getting another type of crackberry. And, I would never jump ship from Verizon either.

J & I paid off our Trailblazer. I should rephrase that. J paid off our Trailblazer. I probably contributed $1000 toward it ... It has been our goal to pay down all our debt before hitting the trail—school loans, vehicles, mortgage. Some debt has been tamed, including one of my school loans, both cars and J's school loans. Other debt will be with us forever, like my other school loan. I like to call it a work in progress.

I did finally get through to someone at my local office and found out the federal extension does apply to NH. So when my UE runs out in a month or so, I can file for a 20-week extension. Phew.

And this last bit is the icing on the cake (ooh, I could really go for a piece of cake right now). BossLady from my former company asked me to do some steady freelance work. It'll probably be 6-8 hours each week. Yeah for having a purpose each week!

That, my friends, was my 32nd week of unemployment.

Labels: