Work It, Girl

So guess who else got a job besides Deal? MEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I am once again going to be a full-time medical writer! I am beyond excited and would like to share my job-searching story.

I saw a job posted for a medical writer based in northern Virginia back in early November. Knowing Deal was interviewing for the trail center job in that area, I figured it didn't hurt to pursue.

I was shocked to get a call for a phone interview in early December. After doing more research, I was immediately interested in the job and the company and stoked for the opportunity. The work was very similar to what I did at my old full-time job, which I loved dearly.

The phone interview turned into "are you going to be in the area for an in-person interview," which I was and hence scheduled. I felt even better about the job and company during the in-person interview. At this point, I was dying to get this gig.

Three days before Christmas, I took a timed writing test, which gave me sweaty armpits and hives (I was never a good test-taker; my high score on the SATs was 980). I think I passed because then he called my references, who apparently sung my praises and led to a job offer!

Things have definitely fallen into place for us and we feel very, very, very blessed. I knew Deal would find a job within 6 months or so, though it ended up being only 2 months! As for me, I didn't think I would ever find a full-time writing job after I got l laid off in 2010. I actually thought my career was over. I know that sounds silly since I was only in my early 30s, but I spent 8 years at one company and couldn't see myself somewhere else. My initial job search revealed some bleak choices. The freelancing thing was ... slow. I figured it would eventually take off when we returned from the trail and I put more effort into it, and if not, I might be forced to switch careers. So this new position is very good news, even if I have to work from midnight to 8am. Did you catch that? Midnight to 8am. It's a good thing I inherited my mom's caffeine-filled genes to stay up all night.

We are happily welcoming this brand new start in 2012. Yes, the changes will be challenging, between the atypical schedules and the general craziness of running a hostel and living there. We just came from a year of complete freedom and are heading into a year of zero freedom. We have no doubt we will make it out alive and love it.

My theory is that you have to risk failure in life; it is the only way you'll succeed.

Stay tuned for my next post on how to survive a chimney fire.

Labels: